Sunday, June 10, 2018

Anthony Bourdain: The Congo Episode

Like probably thousands of Bourdain fans, I am watching his "Parts Unknown" series from the beginning. It is disconcerting to see a man who was alive four days ago, now dead, now alive on TV, back and forth in one's mind.

If you have Netflix, the entire series is free. I suggest you watch it, not simply for the pleasure and pain of seeing Bourdain but for the intensity of each episode. (Plus I just read that the entire series is leaving Netflix on June 16. Because of his death, that may change, but check it out quickly.)  I just finished watching Episode 7 of the first series. The focus was not food, it was all about the struggle of the Republic of the Congo to try to survive given its ruination from so many colonizing countries. It is Bourdain at his humanitarian best, not sentimental but clear and direct.

So much of his journalism was just that: clear and direct and instructive. Decades ago we had Charles Kuralt who not only reported on the Vietnam War but who traveled across America reporting on small towns, small people, everyday life. Bourdain did that but because of TV and internet and social media, he was able to connect in a bigger way all over the world. 

In the Congo episode he harkens back to Joseph Conrad many times. One quote, paraphrased from Conrad, resonated with me:  "I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice."  In other words, whatever path I have chosen, I accept the consequences, good or bad. I will be loyal to the nightmare of my choice. Think about that.

Nothing else to say but try to watch some of the "Parts Unknown" series before it leaves Netflix. It is Bourdain at his social consciousness best, less food and more society.  He was a great advocate for social integrity and social interaction and inclusion. And change. 

Peace out.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment