Saturday, April 6, 2019

Mississippi River Wins Quest for Anonymity!

My quest to follow the Mississippi River has been impossible at almost every turn and therefore I am  admitting defeat and moving on. After another three hour drive yesterday morning (which should have taken two hours) and fidgeting through a five mile bumper to bumper traffic jam and rain so heavy the visibility was almost zero, combined with fog that made seeing across the street almost impossible, I give up. Finding Hwy 23 took a while, driving south towards the Gulf was at a snail's pace and I could see nothing of the bay. That was it, I admitted the folly of following the river, turned around and left NOLA. (The amount of traffic pouring into the French Quarter area made it clear I was not spending the night there.)

And I am fine with that. The river can be seen when driving over a tall bridge, which I did twice yesterday, so there you go, I have seen it, I am ready to move on.

Spent last night in Lafayette, a nice city with a university, some nice parks, good food and I met some cool people from Austin at the restaurant bar where I ate dinner last night. Today, once the low fog clears a bit, I will head north on small roads and see what the back roads of Louisiana have to show me. Right now I can hardly see across the parking lot!  But first, before I leave town, there is a journey to a local bakery and I need to find a bookstore. The one I found last night was a Christian bookstore, not exactly what I wanted.  And yesterday I actually shopped at Walmart to get a cheap pair of flip flops and the book selection they had consisted of Jesus books, romance novels, James Patterson novels (and I can't tolerate his writing) and not much else.  One John Grisham novel, which I have already read. Absolutely no non-fiction books except about god, parenting, self help. No books on current events, history, biography, memoir.... gotta love Walmart! Maybe I should check the books selection at Cracker Barrel! And yes, I totally admit I am a book snob. No doubt. 

Ok, onward!

1 comment:

  1. We are looking at the weather in your area on TV right now. It does not look good i.e. 70mph gusts, torrential downpours and a few tornadoes......egads! Travel safe. Diane says find somewhere to hide.

    ReplyDelete