Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Inauguration Day, January 20, 2021

 If we can have four years of peaceful days in our government like we had today, that would be a gift.  I don't know about anyone reading this but I was on edge all day, even with the military surrounding the entire District of Columbia. Part of me wants to breathe a sigh of great relief that nothing bad happened. The other part will hold my breath for a little while because evil is still skulking around us.

But what a day! Emotional, to put it mildly. I started crying around 9:15 PT and didn't stop until around 3:30 PT, after I listened to Amanda Gorman's recitation of her amazing poem "The Hill We Climb" for the third time. The lack of crowds at the inauguration gave it a sense of intimacy while at the same time a lack of pomp and circumstance. But I will take intimacy any day..... a city surrounded by the military gives one a sense of safety but in no way does it promote pomp. And given the year we have just had, pomp can just go away. We don't need pomp right now, we need safety, kindness and clarity. And expediency. 

President's Biden's speech was like President Biden: clear, down-to-earth and heartfelt. He has a ton of shit  important stuff to take care of right now, not in a week or a month, and he is getting on it right away. We can hope that some of the Republicans will cross that aisle and join with him in getting work done. Not a lot of hope there, but it only takes one or two votes to make legislation pass. 

Bottom line, I am glad the former POTUS (whose name I shall not speak) is gone to Mara-Largo-Lava-Bed or wherever he is and that we now have actual leaders in and for our country. Real people who have ideas and a plan and are not fascists-in-the-making. People who care about everyone in this country, not just white males. Whew, I could go on but I will leave it at that.

It was/is a good day for America. Let's all work to make sure that this day carries on for 4 years. And more. 


1 comment:

  1. Here Here! It was a day to smile a lot and shed a few tears of joy. Now the hard work begins.

    ReplyDelete