Monday, January 18, 2021

"Pretend It's a City" on Netflix

 On Netflix, this new series focuses on the comedy and conversation of Fran Lebowitz, directed by Martin Scorsese.  Lebowitz is my age, 70 years old, and is sarcastic, acerbic and very funny.  The episodes are about 30 minutes each, short and quick. Not only is it focused on her commentary about everything (especially New York), it is also a showcase of what a great city NYC is.  She wanders around town and talks about NYC fifty years ago and how it is today. There are great clips from old movies, old music recordings, bits about art and history of New York.  It's nice to watch something without a plot, something that you watch for simple enjoyment.  Check it out.

Plus, just saying, but part of it is filmed in a New York bar!  I mean a real bar, with small tables, a pool table in the back, bottles of booze above the counter..... like in the Before Days! Made me so want to go t to a bar. With small tables, a pool table in back and bottles of booze above the bar.....  maybe next year.  (Insert sad but hopeful face hear.)

1 comment:

  1. Before your post I had recently seen a few episodes and enjoyed them. I love Lebowtiz's openness and humor. I also like that Scorsese is there in the background. Her memory of NYC in the 1970's had me asking question about my time there. I will watch more episodes.

    ReplyDelete