Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Confessions in West Marin

Tuesday morning and I am sitting in a small cottage on Tomales Bay, looking out tall glass French doors onto the bay, watching the rain and the ducks.  If this was some other location I would be saying to myself "this is so beautiful, I could live here!"  But having already done that, I now know better.  Today I am a visitor to Inverness, here to run a few errands and see to a couple of appointments. 

In my current introspective frame of mind, I can see that I did not make use of the West Marin community as well as others have.  I came here married and on a part-time basis.  Once that was over I reverted to my somewhat hermit ways and chose not to extend myself into that community.  I have always been a bit of a recluse, I admit it.   I am not a joiner and prefer small gatherings to large events. In other words, in a small town I was perhaps my own worst enemy.

There are no regrets, of course, because even if I had built up a huge family of friends and acquaintances, I still wouldn't have a job here and thus no income.  Living out here would have still been a poor option.  But I can still visit and enjoy the scenery.  Today is a beautiful day. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment