Saturday, November 20, 2010

Portland - Daly City

Beautiful drive from Portland, took a right turn in Grants Pass out to the coast, to Crescent City.  More forests, more gorgeous trees in all colors.  Spent the night in CC and drove Hwy. 101 back to the bay area. I love the drive from the northwest edge of California going south, the road is wide, fast and scenic and never very trafficky.

I know I have said it before but I think this year's tree colors are the best I have ever seen.  Maybe it's my imagination or maybe I just don't get out much but everywhere I went the trees defined the term "awesome."  Every shade from pale yellow through dark gold, from pink to scarlet red, from apricot to burnt orange.  The colors of the leaves put a huge box of crayons to shame.  As a person who has lived in California her entire life and in very moderate climates, I have never lived where trees changed colors and then dropped their leaves so abundantly.  It was wonderful.

Now back in Daly City, staying at Gabe and Annie's for a while, in the bedroom I had when I lived in this house more than 25 years ago.  To say it feels odd is to belittle the emotions I am feeling.  Not only am I out of work, I am out of a home base and feeling quite unconnected.  The jury is still out on this episode of my life; let's see how it shakes out in the next month or so.  I will keep you posted.

But Thanksgiving is just around the corner and there is much to be thankful for, of course.  The basics:  health, family, friends.  The extras: a dog, a car and plenty to eat.  It's been a rough year for a lot of people but a lot tougher for others.  Let's just be thankful for a couple of days for what we have.  At this moment, a lot of thunder, lightning and rain!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we have much to be thankful for this year. It makes me want to give back in some way. I am going to work on that these next few months. Now, please send me that thunder and rain!!! I need some scary weather. :)
    And keep writing, mom!!!

    ReplyDelete