Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Whine and wine and why

A couple of people have asked why nothing has been written after my Santa Ynez posting.  I had planned on writing about Paso Robles and the wineries there but the past week has not been kind to me. The the entire wine experience was great but it has been overshadowed by the sense of creeping depression I am trying to avoid.

At the end of April I will have been living with Gabe and Annie for six months. I will have crossed the 18 month out-of-work point.  And there is nothing on the horizon that even looks promising.  I have a job interview on Wednesday for a good company (Cowgirl Creamery) in the Ferry Building in SF but I almost want to ask myself what's the point of this interview?  They have two positions open.  One starts at $12.25 an hour and maxes out at $14.50 an hour.  $12.25 an hour means a person nets around $1500 a month.  Where could I live on that income?  Even if I had no other expenses, finding an apartment in the bay area for under $1000 a month is almost impossible.  $1500 just isn't going to go very far. 

The second position, a supervisor position, starts at $14.00 an hour.  Maxes out at $17.  So if they wanted to hire me, I would make around $1750 a month.  Even that is barely enough to pay for the basic bills to get through each month.

What's a person to do? I haven't even had the interview and therefore there is no job offer on the table but if that happens, what should I do?   Rent a room at a flop house in the Tenderloin?  Rent a room in a shared old house with 3 other people, one or two bathrooms, at my age of 60 and revert to a kind of dorm life existence?  What would you do?  Come on, I am looking for advice here, give it your best shot.  And no, I am not whining. I am simply perplexed and have no idea what to do now.

I can move to Texas and live with my daughter for the next year until she can sell her house (she has to stay until June 2012) and then figure out something after that.  Me, heat, Texas in the summer...... if you know me at all, you know the heat is not my friend.  But maybe that's the only option right now.  It's not a bad option but how does that affect my chances of getting a job once the Texas gig ends?

So that's why I haven't been blogging.  I am totally stymied right now.  I have no idea what to do, where to do it and how to do it.  And I am serious.  Any suggestions are appreciated.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment