Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Movie reviews


"Crazy, Stupid, Love."  I think I might have read too much about this movie before seeing it because I sort of expected it to be better.  How, I'm not sure, because it actually is a solid movie.  It's not great but it is good and definitely worth watching, perhaps on your large home television.  The cast is fine and there are enough unconventional moments to make it stand out a bit more than most romantic comedies.  Plus, and this is difficult for a cynic like myself to admit, there are a couple of very sweet and touching scenes, too.  It doesn't milk your emotions too much but you have no problem getting involved with these characters.  The scene when Ryan Gosling takes off his shirt is worth every penny you'll pay, at least if you like hot men with killer abs and low-riding jeans.  And come on, who doesn't like that sort of thing?

"The Help"  When the book was first published I read many reviews and expected a masterpiece.  Again, I was a little disappointed in the book, probably because I had read too much about it.  It's a very good story, well told, but it wasn't the "life-changer" I wanted.  However, the movie is excellent.  The story is told simply, nothing is over-done (except the bitchiness of the white women) and even though there are a couple of strong, important characters, all performances are stellar.  In fact, the characters are almost composite characters, with the exception of the character played by Viola Davis.  She is incredible, with a look that could melt metal.  My one complaint is that they used too much "mood music" and that always bugs me.  There could have been more scenes with zero music; let the story tell itself, don't tell us how to feel by playing some theatrical music.  But I would recommend seeing it.  The historical importance of what was happening in 1963 is important, of course.  The movie almost feels like a throw-back to another time, a "To Kill a Mockingbird" sort of story, told in that simple, old-fashioned way.  I liked it.

Both of these movies star Emma Stone whom I was not familiar with before now.  She is great, not a classic beauty but more the "girl next door" face, reddish hair and freckles.  I will happily see her in another movie, any time.

 Emma Stone above, in case you were wondering.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment