Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Guest quirks

Having worked in the lodging business off and on for more than 20 years, I am still astonished by some of the requests of guests.  Actually it becomes laughable after a while because if you didn't laugh at them (behind their backs), you would have to punch them in the face.  Today a woman wanted to know how early she can check into her room.  "Check-in is anytime after 3:00" I politely told her.  She wanted much earlier, of course, like 11:00 am.  "But check-out time isn't until 11:00."  She responds: "So I could check in at 11:00 if they are out at 11:00, right?"  The concept of cleaning the room hasn't entered her mind.  I point that concept out to her.  "So then maybe we could get in at 11:30 if they clean the room right away."  I point out that there are many rooms to clean and promising her that her room would be the first one cleaned and promising that it would be done in a half hour isn't something I am willing to do.  She can't understand why this can't be accomplished.  She is determined to get me to agree that she can check in NO LATER than noon.  I won't agree to that.  She is not happy.  Too bad, neither am I.

I did what any part-time employee getting paid less than $14/hour  would do: I told her to call the front desk the morning she is scheduled to arrive and discuss it with the manager.  HA!  No longer my problem.

But honestly, why does everyone think their scenario deserves to be handled in a special manner?   So many people want to be the exception to the rule, no matter what that rule is. Checking in early, checking out late, getting a single night on a busy weekend, demanding a better room, a special breakfast, free wine, bringing their cat, the list goes on and on.  Innkeepers love the guests who are not demanding and who are grateful to be staying in a nice place and are happy that someone makes them a delicious breakfast. Those are the guests who get the extra care.  We go out of our way to get them a reservation at a crowded restaurant or we put a bottle of wine in their room or sneak them extra bacon at breakfast. 

My favorite request over the years was a guy who wanted to know if we accepted pets at one of the cottages I was managing. I said we would allow a small dog. He countered with "can I bring my parrot?"  For a second I was speechless.  A parrot?  Really?  Bird poop on the floor, on the couch?  I said no.  He hung up.   

Today I am in Calistoga working at a small inn and as I write this a car is driving up, probably guests who want to check in early.  Shall I let them or shall I lie and tell them their room is not ready?  Heh-heh......


.

No comments:

Post a Comment