Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Moving on!

The good news:  I found a non-trailer place to live!  A place actually with a foundation and real walls, with hot water and a toilet that flushes, with a small yard (shared) and a teeny gas stove and large outdoor gas grill!  It's small, no doubt about that but I think it will be fine.  Part of a duplex, main house in front, two conjoined units in back, single woman living in the other one.  Martha volunteered to go with me to look at it and we were the first people to see it and I rushed my paperwork over the next day and lo and behold, it is now going to be my new home.

I still have doubts, of course, about the wisdom of committing to something for six or twelve months when I have no income except a two day a week, low paying job.  The gig here at the inn runs out at the end of this week because there are no more bookings, and I don't anticipate the big winter special promotion to fill up the house in the near future.  (Yes, pessimistic, I admit.) Once January 1 arrives, the previous manager will be back at work and thus, adios to me.  Until it gets really busy, perhaps in late spring, it isn't a job that is demanding and so is easy for one person to handle.  Without a good income, renting an apartment almost seems financially foolish. But onward I go, into the breach.  If no work materializes by January 31, I can always walk away from the lease, forfeit my deposit and .......  do what?  I don't know.  Go back to Texas for a couple of months, I suppose.

But the thought of having a place where I can hang a picture, where I can have some of my own stuff, in a neighborhood, walking distance to downtown Santa Rosa, it makes me momentarily happy.  Perhaps happy for several months, who knows?  We'll see what transpires.

Other than that, my little Monday-Tuesday job in Calistoga is fine, it's easy and quiet and no one bothers me. I am still learning the system, of course, but so far things haven't been too tricky, their computer reservation system isn't very complicated and even though they are full most of the time, the guests are all out doing touristy things and they thus leave me alone.  It pays crap but I get all the yogurt and granola and fresh fruit I can eat. Yumm.  Check it out here:  http://www.eurospa.com/   Come and stay!  I can get you a really good deal, especially in the winter, seriously. 

That's it. I will let you know how the move goes. For the first time in 25 years I need to buy a mattress and perhaps a small couch.  A place to sleep and something to sit on, the rest of what I need I already own and is stored somewhere.  In Gabe and Annie's garage or out in Pt. Reyes in the barn. 

Over and out for now.  Thank all of you who have been so supportive for the past few months.  The journey continues........






No comments:

Post a Comment