Sunday, November 20, 2011

Moving in

Trying to keep things as simple as possible, I am moving very few things into my new tiny place.  I have a new bed which is quite comfortable, a few pots, pans, dishes, glasses, towels and clothes.  One wooden folding chair and a very small bedside table that is about 18 inches square and serves as my personal dining table.  No other furniture right now.  I have emptied out most of the boxes and have a few to return to Gabe and Annie's garage or Tom's barn because there is only so much silverware one person needs and I don't have room to store very much stuff.  My goal is to get a small couch, a bookshelf and a table that can seat more than just me.  I am in no rush to get any of this stuff, other than for comfort.  Sitting on the new bed and reading is fine but I know a comfy sofa would be better.  And it would be awkward to invite someone over for dinner and have no place for them to sit. "Hey, you want to come over for dinner and bring your own table, chair and perhaps a small sofa for the evening?"  Just doesn't smack of hospitality.

But otherwise, it's fine. It is quiet at night and a space heater keeps it warm.  It has, of all things, a real flush toilet and the water in the shower is hot!  These small things are not so small after all and I am enjoying their availability.

The neighborhood is great, all single family homes built around 1930 or so and up to the 1950's I suppose.  Most are older, little bungalow houses and there are wonderful tree-lined streets, perfect for walking the dog.  There is a church a block away that chimes the hours, quarter and half hours all day long, which I love.  Leaves on the trees are changing so it is quite beautiful right now. There is a small corner neighborhood market three blocks away and downtown Santa Rosa is about a half mile away, so quite close.  Cooper and I are taking a lot longer walks than we did previously.  He seems to like the place, or at least he likes the bed.  There are squirrels and cats he would prefer to chase but I keep him on a short leash, literally, in that regard.

That's it.  Just an update.  Will post some photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment