Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Get moving

Probably because I am reading a book that is set in the south and involves a road trip to get there, I am really jonesing to be somewhere else right now.  I never thought I would say this but for a moment today (like five minutes ago) I was wishing I was in Texas. (I know, call the mind police!)   I miss my girl and her adorable dog. I miss the tall bed in the extra bedroom, too tall even for Cooper to jump up on. (I had to get him a step stool to get onto the bed, believe it or not.)  I miss Jenn's great kitchen (don't get me started on my small kitchen here) and I miss iced coffee, which simply doesn't taste good anywhere except in the south.   But I think, bottom line, is I am missing a long, winding road trip to get to Texas. 

It's not that I don't like my life, I certainly do.  I like my tiny duplex, I love the garden here,  I am delighted with my cool neighborhood and I enjoy my job.  Life right now is good.  But that nagging feeling of restlessness is still haunting me and reading a book that drops me right in the middle of long, straight roads at the crack of dawn..... well, let's just say that as content as I feel about most of my life, I also know that getting in the car and driving anywhere for six days would not be a bad thing.

Ah, yes, but this will pass.  And if it doesn't, I can definitely hold it off until winter.  Come December I will either be on a plane to a foreign city or in my car to destinations unknown.  In the meantime I will have fever dreams of driving and I will read books that will take me away, at least in my mind. Thank goodness for good writers who can do that.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment