Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bitching

Because my posts lately have been happy and cheery, not cranky and angst-ridden, I fear my handful of readers out there (and you know who you are!) will think I have lost my cynical mind and am slowly turning into Mary Poppins or Pollyanna or Julia Roberts, or some other fool who smiles all the time.  Alas, that is not to be!  This post will prove it.

This is a familiar rant, familiar to all who have known me for the past 20 years, which my innkeeper career spans.  I know this is a service job, as most jobs in the hospitality industry are.  But come on guests, when I specifically state to you that breakfast is served around 9:00, why do you insist on showing up at 9:45?  Or not showing up at all, leaving me to wonder if I should throw your breakfast into the trash or throw it in your face if I ever see you again.  If you want to be late, tell me.  If you don't want to eat, tell me.  If you are anti-social and don't want to eat with others, tell me. I am fine with all that.  It's the hanging around in limbo that is most infuriating.

Then, when you do come down for breakfast after EVERYONE ELSE HAS FINISHED AND HAS LEFT THE TABLE, please don't ask if there are more sausages or bacon.  Please don't tell me, at that late moment, that you don't like orange juice and do I have any other juice.  Don't ask for a new pot of coffee.  It ain't gonna happen and it is not making me like you.  It is making me want to yell "You are stupid!  Go Away!"  And then throw food in  your face.

And what about the folks who ask for a specific check-in time, like the ones I am waiting for at this very minute.  "Can we check in before 3:15 because we have a tasting scheduled at 3:30?"  I say "Well, sure!"  and I live up to my end of the deal by actually being here.  Are they here?  NO!  have they called?  NO!  Will they have the courtesy of calling anytime soon?  Probably not.  Do I care about them now, do I want to make them happy, do I look forward to serving them breakfast in the morning?  NO!  Do I want to yell "You are stupid" at them?  YES!  But I won't. 

This is not a hotel.  We do not have staff.  There are no minions to serve them, there is just me.  And today I wasted a good chunk of time waiting around, both this morning for tardy breakfast dolts and now late arrivals.  

Yes, in the large scheme of things, this is nothing.  It is my job and I get paid to sit here but it still is annoying.   Ah, I feel better now, getting that off my chest.  (Not really, but I am good at faking chest things.)

Insert happy, smiling face here and have a nice day!



(Silently retching.)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment