Saturday, September 15, 2012

Mavis Staples

My youngest brother, Jeff, is the bass player for Mavis Staples.  If you don't know who Mavis is, google her.  She has been on a tour of more than 50 cities in the last couple of months, opening for Bonnie Raitt. She, along with my brother on bass, Rick on lead guitar, a cool guy on drums and a couple of back-up singers, was at the Greek Theater in Berkeley last night.

Because the traffic gods were against me, I missed the first couple of songs but saw enough to know that Mavis, at 73, is still rocking the world of rhythm and blues. She is a firecracker on stage, and as cute as a button-nosed teddy bear. She performs new songs, old faves and gets the crowd rocking. 

My brother loves being on tour with Mavis and the band. They have been all over the world, stay in great hotels, eat good food, and get paid to do all of it!  And get paid to make music, which everyone in the band loves to do.   I got to go backstage and meet Mavis, hang out a bit, and it was a great evening.  I'm telling you, the next time she is in the bay area, go see her.  You will leave smiling!

Two short videos.  In the first, the tall guy in back of her with the blue-top guitar is my brother Jeff. This video doesn't show her energy the best but she has a close-up with my brother for a few seconds which I love.  In the second (which has bad sound syncing) he is there too, in a red tie.  But honestly, no matter how good a bass player Jeff is, Mavis is the star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l64Bte5ygvM&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBMgSM4ypY

 
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment