Friday, September 21, 2012

Mornings, a movie and a meal

This is a scattered blog post, just a warning.

Cooper and I walk in the morning, usually around 6:30-6:45. Lately the mornings have been much colder and much darker. It's nice, though, it feels like fall is coming. Leaves on the trees are starting to change or starting to fall off the trees. It's difficult to get out of bed because it's so warm in bed and so chilly out of bed but the unpleasantness of getting up is offset by the pleasantness of the morning walk. It's quiet, usually, not much traffic, and the morning walk has always been rather meditative for me. Don't know why I am even writing about it, but there you have it.

Movie: I stream movies from Netflix to my TV via a little Roku box. Let's me watch all sorts of instant down-loads, old TV shows, movies no one ever heard of, foreign films, documentaries that I always planned on renting but never did. Last night I watched a movie that was about five years old with Tom Selleck.  Tom Selleck was once very cute, in his "Magnum P.I." days. He had cute dimples. Now, 25 years later, he isn't cute. His face is obviously more mature, more lined, much more interesting. It seems he made a series of TV movies about a character called Jesse Stone. I knew nothing about these movies but watched one called "Sea Change" and lo! and behold!  It was good!  A little slow, a bit dark (which I always like) and somewhat honest, a rare thing in movies.  Jesse Stone is a tired and sad cop trying to do a decent job. Sometimes he succeeds. Sometimes not. But worth watching.

Meals: right now I have just one word for you regarding food: tomatoes. Fresh, off the vine tomatoes. Sliced thick, on good bread with mayonnaise, eaten over the sink. "My word," as Martha use to say. So, so good. My friend Margaret has lots of tomatoes and shares them and I have been eating them every day. The season seems long when your kitchen counters are covered with tomatoes but it is actually rather short-lived. If you can get your hands on good ones, do yourself a favor and Eat. Them. Now.

So, so delicious. 

That's all for this day.  Have a good weekend.





.

No comments:

Post a Comment