Saturday, November 3, 2012

So many movies, so many movie reviews

Another lovely side effect of being out of work is that I can go to the movies during the day.  Reading book after book gets a little tiresome, even if the book is great, and really, how many times can walk the dog?  The sad side effect is that going to the movies takes money.  $7.00 a shot with my senior discount, sometimes a little less. (Hint to children:  for xmas, movie passes if I am still on the dole.)   Oh well.  I eat a lot of free zucchini from the garden (although they are waning now) so what I spend on a movie I make up for by eating cheap.

There are no spoilers here, trust me. It's not about the plot, it's about the rest of the experience.  And if you think I am spoiling, please tell me.

"The Master"  Stellar performances all around.  However they made this movie, which had to be on film, not digital, it is really beautifully photographed.  There are scenes that show the actors faces in the perfect light which renders them true to their characters: not always nice, not always pretty but always gut-true. You could write a thesis about this movie and its themes, all about men coming home from WW2 and finding they can't fit in, about religious zealots who promise so much but deliver disappointment, about the power some have over others, about addictions, failure and lethargy.  Hmm, with a list like that it's no wonder I didn't like the film.  I really appreciated the talent, the amazing technique, the intensity of the story.  But when the movie was over, I thought, as I did when leaving "There Will Be Blood" by the same director (Paul Thomas Anderson) "why did I watch that?" It wasn't enjoyable and left me unsettled.  I must admit that it stays with you for a few days, rolling around in your mind like lost dice.  I would give it a B+ for acting, technique, writing, all the concrete things about a movie but a low C for likeable-ness.  Approach with caution.  I know a lot of critics really liked it, so don't be afraid.  Let me know what you think.

"Perks of Being a Wallflower" A much more indie movie, and I would classify it as a good date movie.  High school angst, much of it deserved, much of it typical, a few twists thrown in.  A bit cliched, a bit tear-jerking at parts, but OK.  Good soundtrack.  Worth seeing, especially at home with a bucket of good popcorn, some alcohol and a mate.  I give it a C+, and if you factor in some of the songs, a B-.

"Flight"  It is unlike me to see a movie in the first week it's been released.  I don't like the crowds.  But Steve and I went because, for me, the Denzel factor.  What can I, or any woman with blood in her veins, say about Denzel?  Hot?  Smoking hot?  Words fail.  As you all undoubtedly know the arc of the story, I won't go into detail.  Let's just say that as tough as this movie is, as unpleasant as it is to watch at times, I liked it.  A lot.  The cast is great although it is Denzel's game.  Good music as well.  And (no spoiler here, don't worry)  John Goodman simply makes you smile.  A really solid B+ and I might move it to an A- in the next couple of days.  Again, no spoiler (so don't worry Gabe,) but the moral dilemmas presented many times over are great food for discussion.  Would love to chat about this movie with smart movie-goers out there.

"Breakfast on Pluto"  Made in 2005, directed by Neil Jordan, a very sweet, funny, serious film set in Ireland and England.  Basically an abandoned baby gets raised by a regular family (in the 70's) but the kid turns out to be a transvestite, more or less.  (More.) Handles the brunt of a lot of nastiness but no matter what, this character rises about it all in a nice, almost angelic manner. Grows up, tries to find his Mom, and in the meantime makes friends, enemies and tells a story.  Based on a real guy's stories about his life.   Maybe it was my mood at the time but I liked it a lot. And all that 70's music is spot-on. It's on DVD, perhaps on Netflix but definitely through the library.

OK, gosh, that's my movie stuff for this night.  But I have more to tell you about the Smothers Brothers last season on TV from 1968-1969 which I am currently watching (thanks to the library) and will report on tomorrow.  Stay tuned!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment