Wednesday, December 19, 2012

And another week gone!

Yes, another week has zipped by.  Now home from Texas where I had a great time visiting with my lovely daughter and letting her boss me around.  Jenn was catering a weekend party at her girlfriend's house but she also had to work so I got to be the fill-in cook for a couple of days.  However, since her kitchen is set up to cook (and we all know mine isn't) it was a pleasure.  I rocked out dozens of cookies, chicken Thai dumplings (think pot-stickers), artichoke dip, cakes, breads, spicy nuts, all manner of tasty bits.  We even made deep-fried mac and cheese balls! (Yes, wrong in many ways but just think: crispy on the outside, melting in the middle, finger-lickin' good.)  In Texas, it isn't a party unless something is deep-fried.

We also got to see the Grand Prairie Christmas light show!  4 million lights in two miles!  I was expecting houses decorated to the nines but this is a entire regional park given over to some crazy crew with lights on the brain...... you drive down small roads at a snail's pace and there are light displays all over, with moving parts and themes and brilliant displays that would be totally awesome if you were on drugs.  (The lights were quite nice without the drugs, but I'm just saying.)

Texas is Texas.  Land of hugeness, whether light displays or dead bugs on the sidewalks or front yard Christmas displays.  It was nice to be there and it's nice to be home.  

It's probably time to start Christmas shopping but since we aren't really doing gifts this year, I can put it off until next year.  Going to see the aged Mom tomorrow to fulfill my holiday responsibility.  Back on Friday for great festivities abounding this coming weekend.  Crab for Christmas eve with tons of champagne and lots of thanks to the universe for getting us this far through the year.  It has been a fucked-up year in many ways, but I guess if you are alive and healthy and not sleeping on the street, you can't complain too much.

 
 
.

1 comment:

  1. I miss you every day when you aren't here. If you were here today, we would go to the museum to see the 1920's Parisian art at the Dallas museum which I haven't been to yet.

    I'm sorry you were in the kitchen while I worked all day while you were here. I hope you really did have fun.

    Love you. LTBT!
    -jenn

    ReplyDelete