Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Holidaze

There should be something wise to say about the holiday season or at the very least something witty but I have nothing.  It's a cold day after Christmas, my gas oven is on because the space heater isn't doing its job and Cooper is curled up on the couch, under a blanket.  Gabe and Annie and I were lucky to find crab for Christmas Eve (thanks to their insight about which SF neighborhoods would not be crab consumers) and many bottles of champagne were happily sipped.  We had serious plans for making it an early night but in the middle of the second Scrabble game Gabe suddenly reported that it was already after 1:00 am! We quickly quit the game (fine with me since I was definitely not winning that round) and went directly to opening our gifts.  We had pledged to NOT buy gifts this year but one needs to open something, so the gifts were things like Beer Nuts and socks and used books.  (My expenditures for all 5 of my kids was less than $25 total.  A lot less, actually, more like $15.)

And now there is the wait for the end of the year. I have a couple of days of work, thankfully, and then who knows what happens after that.  Maybe it's the lack of meaningful engagement or it's the cold weather or it's just me, but I feel blank and worn.  Not worn out, not tired,  just worn.  Frayed. Threadbare. Could be a reflection of my bank account as well, down to bare bones. It's like looking in the pantry (if I had one) and finding only an old box of pasta and some soy sauce: just not enough to even discuss.

That's all I've got for now.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect analogy (is that what it is?) - pasta and soy sauce. Just not enough to even discuss.

    ReplyDelete