Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Ex. And the Why.

Everyone knows someone who has a very terrible, no good ex.  Husband or wife, the ex factor comes in both flavors.  Those exes are often crack-smoking, meth-dealing, gin or whiskey drinking  cons who sleep with ferrets and wear the same clothes for a week, never sleep, hit people, panhandle and at the same time always have enough money to gamble.  Men or women, we all know exes like that. Or close enough. Some might just go to church a lot (which is sort of like gambling) or who are addicted to other things (can we say "golf") or who even pretend to be good but are, at heart, quite bad (Dodger fans, for instance.)

So, yes, there are bad exes out there. Hey, I even had one! So it's not unusual and nothing to be too ashamed about. (However, a little shame is appropriate, just hang your head a tiny bit, it will work fine.)

Actually, I have the opposite. I have a Good Ex.  I am not sure how this happened because I was not a good creator of the ex.  (Sordid tales you do not need to know, trust me.)  But with the realignment of the planets that happened around the late 1990's and then the whole scary millennium travesty that we all had to live through, my ex turned into The Ex.  (Hey, not really sure of the time frame there so don't quote me.)  Zut Alors!  My Ex is actually a really good guy. Nice, smart, kind, generous, funny and low-key.

But wait, you say!  What about the Ex's Wife, the other woman?  She is not the other woman.  She is The Woman. She is nice, smart, kind, generous and funny. (She has to be because she lives with (and married) the Ex.)  I like her. A lot.

All this is to say that I just spent a day and a half with the Ex and the ex-Wife and we had such fun.  We laughed, talked, had teary eyes a couple of times, hung out, talked, ate, drank, ate some more, drank a teeny bit more (enough was enough) and then they were on their way. 

We should all have such good friends. Friends that will put up with anything, friends who sleep over, who let you sleep over at their homes, who share, who give, who care.  It's what friends are all about and the fact that these friends are my Ex and his lovely Wife.... well, it's the best.

Thank you, John and Diane, for being who you are. You carry me with your love and generosity and kindness and you should fear this:  someday, I might just take you up on your offer and come up there and hang out for longer than a weekend!

I love you.  Long Time, Big Time.  xoxo

.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Diane and I look forward to our next visit be it here or there or anywhere. We had a great time too.

    ReplyDelete