Thursday, August 11, 2016

If we weren't all crazy we would all go insane. (Thank you, Jimmy Buffett.)

First thing: the daughter we all know and love turned 43 yesterday.  A prime number, guaranteed a prime year. As beautiful and ambitious and complicated as ever, she is, at this moment (or as of last night, we know how mercurial these things are) very happy.  Where did all those years go? I don't mind that she is 43, but I do mind that there are so many gaps in my memory of those years. I mind it a lot. But Jenn is busy (duh) and happy (yay) and time marches on.

Second thing: I read a blog I wrote on August 4 of last year, just a few days after the roommate moved in, and already, after just a couple of days, I was tired of having a roommate. I wrote that it wasn't her so much as it was me, my desire to live alone was so obvious to me that having a roommate wasn't working even then.  Of course, in the following year, it is apparent to me that part of it is her (hello, naked in the kitchen, pill popping, ox bile eating person) and part of it is me (please don't talk to me when I come home from work or in the morning or after dinner or around noon or ever.)  But I lasted a year. In other words, it took me that long to find my own place.  YAY for that.

Third thing: I get the keys to the new place this weekend.  By Monday night I might actually be sleeping there. It's so strange, this transition stuff. Here's me tossing out crap I have had for ten years, a little bar of soap from the hotel in Tunisia, a handful of French and Italian coins from the days of francs and lira, a compass that stopped working because my trajectory never points north, dozens of DVDs of movies I love because I need to move on from them, old pasta, old jars of olives, Parmesan rinds that are good in soups one makes in the winter but not in the summer.  I shredded tax returns, bank statements and investment statements that had my social security number on them.  (However, any tax returns with a name and a social security number on them from the Assbag, I left whole, and left them in a box on the street corner with a sign that said "FREE" on it.) 

That's enough for now. Life is crazy. We are all a bit crazed. Admit it, embrace the oddities of life, our eccentricities and be happy about all of it.  Kids, husbands (exes), friends, pets, souvenirs, possessions, family, transitions.  All make us nuts, all give us comfort and solace and all are part of who we are, where we have been and where we are going.  

Yesterdays are over my shoulder so I can't look back for too long.  There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong.

Thanks again, Jimmy B.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment