Monday, August 8, 2016

Why we love cast iron frying pans

Last Friday I ordered Chinese take out.  Veggie chow fun and orange beef.  And yes, orange beef is bad for you but it was a long day of trying to deal with Comcast, boxing up stuff for the move, coming upon my roommate sunbathing in the nude, after which I had to take a shower and try to purge that image from my mind. So I ordered it and it was good.

Tonight, those leftovers: into a seasoned cast iron frying pan went some olive oil til hot, chopped onion and garlic, then a small diced white eggplant, dices zucchini, red pepper flakes, dashes of fish sauce, and some of those chow fun noodles.  The noodles of course release starch and thus create sticky stuff on the bottom of the pan.  When it was all done and tasty, I turned it out onto a plate, added a little more olive oil and tossed in the orange beef, which is sticky and messy.  Couple of minutes, put that on the plate, the bottom of the pan was a mess, ran hot water into it and took my lovely plate outside to eat (roommate was gone!) and enjoyed some nice quiet air.  Cooper had a tiny bite as well. He approved.

When I came back in, I rinsed out the frying pan and everything just loosened up and rinsed away.  A couple of swipes with the sponge and the pan was clean, no sticky bits, no burned veggies and sauce, clean as a whistle. 

Gotta love that seasoned cast iron material!

No comments:

Post a Comment