Monday, August 22, 2016

It's been so moving.....

There have been no blogs lately because I have been moving and thus my internet connection has been transitory.  But now it's back!  From the situation with the roommate, a situation I did not enjoy, to a small place just for myself and the dog, it's been a busy week changing living places. Along the way I have already taken two loads of stuff to thrift shops and I have three more boxes to either take to a thrift shop or find a way to get this stuff, dishes, cooking stuff, blankets, a beautiful hand made quilt, up to the people who have lost everything in the Lake County fire.

I left West Marin in October of 2010 and with me came several boxes of dishes, bowls, serving platters, vases, tchotchkes, ceramic pieces.  Those were stored in boxes in Gabe's garage and transferred to the garage on Meyers Drive, where they remained unopened.  I carried them to this place and opened them and am giving at least 90% of the stuff away.  There were boxes of bank statements, credit card bills, investment reports, paper, paper, paper. I have shredded and tossed most of that stuff as well.  Too much crap to continue to carry along. 

My new place is a large half of a duplex near the JC.  A decent size living room, large kitchen, regular size bedroom, bath.  Small and ugly back yard which I think can be nice with some potted plants and maybe a few square feet of sod.   But serviceable,  I can have my Weber grill out there and some chairs and a table.

The best thing is that I have no roommate!  I come home from work and I don't have to interact with anyone or feel like I am being rude by not interacting.  My days are full of talking.  I do not want to talk when work is done, at least for an hour or so. I can cook what I want, when I want and I don't have to smell that hot, humid stench of boiled cabbage/broccoli/onions. (She NEVER sauteed one thing. Everything was steamed, including hamburgers.)  

Cooper is adjusting, I think he likes the neighborhood, and if he doesn't, too bad.  I do. It's odd. The Meyers Drive house was a nice house and the 'hood was friendly and safe. But it wasn't a good walking neighborhood. This one is. There are a couple of negatives about it like no garage and no laundry, but the laundromat is a three minute walk from here and without a garage I have no space to store stuff, so doing laundry is easy and it means I get rid of stuff. 

Whew. It's all good.  

.

1 comment: