Sunday, November 27, 2016

Being thankful and cranky at the same time

It is a lovely time to drive through Sonoma Valley, all the vines are turning colors, the air smells grapey and rich, the sun is low, the light in the sky is soft and at the same time almost metallic in its crispness. Now if we could just get rid of all the tourists, it would be even better. 

This time of year is for counting one's blessings and thanking loved ones for that great pumpkin pie they made or that really nice bottle of whiskey they shared with you or for the fact that one has heat and a roof and a dog and food and a car and enough money in the bank to take off for ten days and go to New York.  These things are gifts, just look at the front page of the New York Times or any good newspaper (or even any bad one) and see how the rest of the world is doing, and no matter how  you are doing, you are doing better than most. Say "thank you."  To everyone and to no one.

And yet, those holiday guests at the hotel, really, come on, give it up.  Go to your room and watch TV.  DO NOT STAND IN THE LOBBY AND TELL ME YOUR POLITICAL BELIEFS.  DO NOT INSINUATE THAT TEA HAS GLUTEN.   DO NOT ASK ME TO MAKE YOU A LATTE.  The list is almost endless, actually, I could go on and on but I won't.  But holidays are the worst for this sort of idiotic potato-brained discourse and the sense of entitlement that comes with people who have potatoes where their frontal lobes should be. "I have a potato instead of a brain, therefore you should agree with everything I say and anticipate my dissatisfaction with the bottles of soap in my shower."  I want to smash that potato and fry it in hot lard.

And yet, in three days I will be on a large flying object jetting my way to NYC, city of art, music, bars, food, shopping, drinking, walking, watching, imbibing, snacking, listening, sipping and sleeping. In our neighborhood are dozens of places to eat, drink, read, walk, shop and simply have a good time.  A couple of miles from our 'hood are more of the same.  By this time of the year I am really tired, not just of the job but of the lack of diversity in my life, the lack of anything but the repetitious process of getting up, getting out, working, coming home, going to bed. Over and over, rinse and repeat. Being in a Major US City will be fun and entertaining, adventurous and exciting.  Bring it on!

Can't wait.  Will report in. I don't know how much I can write on my tiny little Smart phone, but I might be able to send photos.  Tune in.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment