Sunday, November 13, 2016

Comfort food from the freezer from 2 years ago, and still good!

When I moved three months ago, I brought with me, from the freezer, a deli container labeled "Turkey Gravy Nov. 22" and no other details.  On Wednesday afternoon I took it out of the freezer and put it in a pan of cold water to thaw.  I had no recollection of what it was, when it was or why it was.  Once it was partly thawed, I realized it wasn't turkey gravy but a pork sausage gravy. In 2014 I made biscuits and gravy for Christmas morning (I remember that clearly) and I am pretty sure this was the gravy I made for those biscuits. I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain I didn't make it last year. (My kids could tell me differently.)  Two years in the freezer and it survived. 

Heated up, it tasted great!  I thinned it out with a bit of hot water and a bit of cream.  I added some salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and tasted it again. Disco! It was delicious.  I had no biscuits (too bad) but I toasted some sourdough bread and poured that pork sausage gravy over that toast and it was the best comforting food ever!   To counterbalance the carbs I sauteed a lot of spinach with garlic and lemon and the combination of that with the sausage gravy over toast was delicious.  

There is something about cooking one's favorite stuff that makes the world seem, momentarily, less obnoxious. Less mean and less frightening.  And I am in that mode.  More to follow, with a great soup and etc, etc.

peace. strength. love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment