Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Cream biscuits, 5 ingredients, wear your pearls as you make them

It's baking season, and I for one like to turn on the oven just to heat up my small living space.  My place is cold. The space heater can only throw out so much heat from its small self. Gas is cheap, so having the oven on is good, and pulling out of that oven delicate, light, tasty biscuits is an added bonus.

Here's what I did last night:  one cup of flour into which I stirred a half teaspoon of salt and about 3/4 tablespoon of baking powder.  I had about a half cup of cream, so I stirred that into the flour, but had to add another splash of 2% milk.  Stirred it all together into a softish dough. I melted about a quarter cup butter in a small pan.

Turned oven to 425. Brushed a little pie pan with some of the melted butter. Then I took a quarter of the dough and sort of patted it into a biscuit shape (by hand, no need to roll this out) and dipped into the melted butter and put it into the small pie pan.  Did that a total of 4 times for 4 nice size biscuits.  Brushed the rest of the melted butter over the lumps of dough.  Baked for about 14 minutes until brown enough.

These are the kind of biscuits you want to serve with butter and honey, like for breakfast.  They are light and delicate. They are not sturdy biscuits, but I crumbled one into a sort of chili/stew I made because why not?  They are like evening biscuits, rather sophisticated, like wearing pearls.  Try them, or find a recipe for them online, just google "cream biscuits" and you will see lots of them. You could add some sugar, just a bit, and then they would be good for dessert, especially split and used for strawberry shortcake.  Without the sugar you can still split them and spoon chicken pot pie filling over them, sort of an upside-down chicken pot pie.

Try them. My recipe made 4, which is perfect for a trial run, but trust me when I say you will make them over and over, in quantities of 4 or 8 or 12 and your guests or your family will love you for a long time over these biscuits.  I am planning on making them Christmas morning, maybe with a little sugar, cinnamon, currents stirred into the batter.  How could that not be a fine Christmas morning gift?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment