Thursday, December 29, 2016

Oh, NY Times, how I love you!

You all know how much I love reading.  And thus how much I love writers. Combine the two and you get great writers talking about what they read this year!  Could my heart be happier?  (Well, yes, that fiasco of an election could not have taken place, the genocide that is/was Aleppo could not have taken place, Alan Rickman's death could not have taken place, the SF Giants winning the World Serious COULD HAVE TAKEN PLACE, I could have won the lottery after playing almost every friggin Saturday night, Trump could have died, and on and on...... so yes, my heart could be happier.)

But we take what small joys we find, right?  So in the NY Times book section is a really nice assortment of really good writers talking about what they read in 2016 and why. Or why not.  And a couple actually admitted they started a book and did not finish it!  Wow!  They are human!

So, if you are a reader who likes writers, check it out. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/19/books/review/25year-in-reading.html?_r=0

Oh, and yes, I could continue on some of the things that would make my heart happy, like ...... well, there is so much. As the year comes to its close, we all need to define those things for ourselves and the things that make our hearts, and thus ourselves, unhappy, we need to try and fix.

When there is a call for protest, for demonstration, for activism, I hope you are all with me. If it takes hitchhiking to Washington DC for a rally, if it means spending money on plane tickets, if it means buying a sleeping bag and a canteen for camping out for justice and equality and simple moral values, please be prepared to do so.  I will give you a shout out when I am ready to take to the road to help ourselves be safe and whole, and I want some of you to come along. And I want you to give me that same shout out. Either here or on my email, which you probably have but if not, just ask.  We owe it to the graced life we are now living and we owe it to everyone's kids who will get the dregs of what this administration leaves behind. 

But on a happier note, YAY for fresh crab and champagne (thanks to all my kids for an awesome Christmas eve/morning) and YAY for this lovely weather and YAY for good friends and the love and care they share like those bubbles in that champagne, YAY for the start of a new year and maybe the start of some goodness.

Again, peace to everyone. Love. Long Time, Big Time.

Will write again on Saturday.

.


2 comments:

  1. All right. I scanned the writers and the books they recommend. There are so many, reviewers and books and......so little time. I also have NY Times 100 Notable Books of 2016. I will keep plugging away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as you should. but too many books, too little time, so if it doesn't appeal to you in 50 pages, move on. I know people who say "oh, once I start a book I have to finish it, even if I don't like it" and I think "why? Life is short, read something that you like. Move on, how sad if you die reading a crappy book!" So, soldier on, former husband of mine! Thank you for responding.

    ReplyDelete