Friday, December 23, 2016

Eating, Drinking, Spending, Working and one book I just read

And right now, cooking crabs for the Christmas Eve festiva!

Every year I try not to spend a lot of  money for the "Day in December to Give Gifts" and I usually succeed in being cheap. This year, in the spirit of my new founded feeling of generosity and giving, I said "fuck it" to the frugal part of my soul and shouted out a huge "welcome" to the spendy part of me, a part that is not in evidence very often. This year I actually bought some things for the kids, nothing major, not a lot of money spent but it felt good and it was fun.

At work, there has been a plethora of candy and cookies and wine and more candy and it is all really good and I eaten more than my share. I lie to myself and try and justify it with the lack of big meals in the evening, but really, come on, two pieces of chocolate fudge probably equal the calories of a steak dinner, so we all know I am just kidding myself.  But again, I don't care. Come January 2, the candy will be gone, salad will reappear like Baby Jesus in the manger and all will be healthy.  Maybe.

Yesterday I stopped at the library to pick up a couple of books I had on hold.  When I got home, after walking little Cooper, I sat on the couch and began reading "Another Brooklyn" by Jacqueline Woodson.  Two hours later I had finished it. One could call it a novella, if it was in regular book size it might be 100 pages.  It's quite good, the story of a young black girl growing up in the 1970's, in Brooklyn, her friends, her family, the lack of continuity in her life, the lack of love and the search for that love. The play of memory and its illusionary air when brought up against the reality of life.  I would recommend it if you see it at the library.

And my last crab is about ready to come out of the pot. I have this thing about getting crabs live and cooking them myself. It's the only way you know how fresh they are, and it takes only a large pot, some salt, and a little bit of time, like 15 minutes a crab.  Tomorrow is my favorite day of the year, the kids come, we have snacks, we take the dogs for a walk, we might play Scrabble, we open copious bottles of good Champagne, eventually we eat crab with bread and salad and later we open gifts. Everyone is sleeping over. In the morning we have coffee and scrambled eggs and by noon they are all off to other Christmas celebrations, I get to take a short nap and then work the afternoon shift at the hotel.

I hope you all have a happy and loving holiday. Let's hope for the best this coming year while at the same time preparing to be unsurprised by how terrible it might be.

Much love to  you all.  And to all a good night.

XO


No comments:

Post a Comment