Monday, September 25, 2017

Fruit Crisps: summer, fall, winter. Peaches, pears, apples, etc.

Very quick, more to follow soon.  Who doesn't love a fruit crisp, hot fruit with crispy goodness on top?  You would need to be a vampire not to like that.  Or a zombie. But sometimes  you just want the fruit and some crunch. No flour, no angst about whether it will be crispy enough.  Here is what you want: https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/08/almond-crisped-peaches-uk-book-tour/  

Skip the conversation and get straight to the recipe.  She makes it with peaches.  In my neighborhood there is an abundance of apples and pears right now.  I picked up some perfect (i.e. no blemishes, no worm holes) pears and I made this recipe with one of those pears.  Cut the ingredients down to about half, so I used raw almonds chopped up fine, about a quarter cup chopped, a healthy tablespoon of sugar and a couple of tablespoons melted butter.  Dash of nutmeg.  It might have been better if the almonds were even finer than I chopped them but I hate getting out the Cuisinart for such a small job.  Next time I will chop them into a much finer grind. But I mixed the three ingredients together (with a dash of spice, how hard is that?) and I smushed them onto the large pear I had cored, and baked it at 350 for about 45 minutes. Let it stand for about 15 minutes, drained the juices off into some unflavored Greek yogurt and used that as my topping. (Ice cream would be fine, but I didn't have it and I like the tang of sturdy yogurt) and it was pretty much my dinner. I will do it again in the next day or two, trying for a finer chop.  It was really nice, pears  hold their shape until they don't and I took them out of the oven at the right time so they were not mushy. The nutty topping, combined with the juicy yogurt, was perfect with the warm, soft pears.  

It takes like two minutes to put this together, it would be just as good with apples. Even better with a scoop of salted caramel ice cream, if you had that. But I will revert to the Greek yogurt..... I just like the tartness of it with the baked fruit.

That's it. Carry on. More to come tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment