Thursday, September 7, 2017

Why is it when you just want to sit back and collect unemployment (for my lost identity) job offers keep coming your way? CRAZY!!!

Seriously, I have three job interviews lined up for the next week, and no matter what I say on the phone, these callers are not deterred.  I ask what it pays, I ask what the schedule is, I tell them I have a current part time job, I tell them that I hate people, that I loathe computers, that I am illiterate, that I am always late and that I am deaf and blind (kidding about that) and they don't care. They still want me to come in for an interview, to meet with the "person in charge." It's just bizarre. 

My working theory has always been that if you are invited to an interview, you need to go.  It's just part of the process and if it leads to nowhere, that's fine. One place almost offered me the job before meeting me and I emailed them a really nice "you know, the swing shift isn't going to work for me and I might need to have knee surgery in the winter so I appreciate your interest but I have to say "No thanks" and they still asked me to come by to see the property! Which I will do because this is a place that is in Guerneville called Auto Camp and it's 20 Airstream trailers tricked out to be overnight lodging. I have followed this story for the past year and I want to see the place, so even though I made it clear I didn't want the job, they invited me to come and check it out!  And they said, in the email, "There might be a position for you in the future, and we are looking forward to meeting you."  So I will go, of course.  Who knows what will happen. I love Airstreams, so why not check it out?

So, basically, go figure.  Crazy times. I know my resume is stellar in the hospitality industry and I give good phone, but it still cracks me up that people want to meet me and see if their job can appeal to me.   And the pay, for some, is decent, not great, but better than I was getting at the Olea Hotel.

As these things progress, I will let you know what happens. For now, it's a lark. One of the interviews next week is at a really high-end place about 20 minutes from here, and I am considering wearing flip-flops and cut-offs to the "interview" and seeing what happens.  I probably won't.  But I want to!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment