Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Letting go of things from a dead friend

In my spacious (and yet counter-space limited) kitchen I have my friend Martha's bike.  Martha was killed in June of 2012. For almost six years I have had this bike in my possession. It has been ridden some but not enough. It's a good bike, not cheap, not top of the line, but a good, sturdy bike.  (Martha would not have had a bike if it were not on the level 6 or 7 on a scale of 10 of "bikes to be enjoyed on weekends.")  

When the fires happened and there were so many people who needed a good bike (there were so many postings for just that reason) I thought of donating it to the company who was collecting bikes, refreshing them and giving them to folks who lost their bikes in the fire.  I thought about it but I did not do it.

Now this bike is in my kitchen. It's a presence in my everyday life, of course, because it's right here, next to my little kitchen table. It goes without saying that it is a daily reminder of my excellent friend Martha.  Am I hanging on to it for that reason? Do I think Martha will be forgotten if I let the bike go? Should I ride it more and would that make Martha happier? Or will she be happier if I give it a better home?

Martha was one of my best friends. I talked to her the night before she was killed and we made plans for the weekend she was supposed to return. I still miss her.  And I still have her bike.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment