Thursday, March 12, 2020

Safe to travel? Safe to exist in California? Safe to breathe? Who knows?

Before I threw up my hands because of indecision and decided to just rent a car and drive, I considered other options. Going to Europe, revisiting the South, going north to Seattle and Vancouver BC.  Well, oddly enough, the choice I made actually worked. Going to Europe would have been a disaster, if I had been able to even get there and get back. The South: tornados and flooding in the places I most wanted to visit, so no thanks on that one.  And Seattle, well, we don't need to talk about that.

It's a bit dicey going anywhere right now but in my little zippy Toyota I felt 100% safe and secure. No one was in the car but me (and my brother for a few hours but I am pretty sure he didn't have the virus) so no need to sterilize things before turning the key. The hotel rooms I stayed in were clean and nice, although I am sure a virus could have been lurking anywhere. I never went anywhere crowded, was a loner most of the time, which is how I usually travel.

It is probably more dangerous, if one is thinking along those danger lines, to go to the grocery store than to go out to dinner. People don't normally go out to dinner when they feel crappy but people go buy groceries even when they are sick. Crazy.... and we have a POTUS that two days ago said this virus thing would all blow over. Then he said we have no worries, we have plenty of test kits for everyone!  Today he backtracked again and misspoke over and over again and the U.S. still has almost no testing program for people who might be infected with the virus. What the fuck is going on?

But I am going to live in my little bubble and pretend  assume that the virus isn't going to come to Glen Ellen. I am a little concerned about my job since the hotel welcomes people from all over the world (although many from foreign lands have already cancelled) and we have a difficult time standing six feet away from guests. But washing my hands 100 times a day is possible, and not breathing air that is shared with others might be possible so I am hoping that will all be okay as well. I have enough food for a couple of weeks, especially if I eat sparingly and begin to forage for green things in my neighborhood.  (Miner's lettuce grows everywhere, of course, as does rosemary and who doesn't love a big bowl of fresh rosemary?)  

Tonight I enjoyed the unseasonable and totally wrong warm weather and grilled a fat pork chop and some veggies, pretending it was summer, the season I like the least. The dinner was good, grilling was nice, and I truly hope it rains soon. And for many days.

Stay healthy if you can.  If you can't, at least stay quiet and quarantined.  Good luck out there.

.


1 comment:

  1. DJT is not just an ass. He is an ass who thinks he knows everything when he knows NOTHING. And that's complicated because he has so much power. It is freaky scary. The only possible good thing from this is exposing more of DJT's mental and emotional deficiencies.

    ReplyDelete