Friday, October 22, 2021

Sensorio "Field of Lights" Display in Paso Robles

 In March 2020, which seems like years ago, about a week before California shut down because of Covid, I visited the Sensorio show in Paso Robles. The New York Times had a one page feature about it in their "50 Places to Visit in 2020" and it was too intriguing to pass up.  It was one of the most beautiful and amazing installations I have ever seen.  Shortly after I was there, it shut down for a year, just reopening April 2021.

When I read that it was opening again, I coerced my brother John and his wife Emily to meet me in Paso Robles and see the show. They were a tiny bit reluctant: "A light show? Really?"  But because they love me, they were willing to indulge my need to see it again, and see it with them.  Which we did, last night.

It didn't disappoint, not them seeing it for the first time or me, seeing it again. More than 58,000 solar powered fiber optic stemmed spheres cover more than 15 acres and they change colors as the night progresses. Guests walk along wide paths to view the lights, and you can stay as long as you like. We got there just as the sun was setting and just as the lights were coming on.


After 30-40 minutes, as the sky darkened, the brilliance of the lights was stunning.  One takes way more photos than necessary and eventually you simply stand and look and appreciate the beauty. The interplay between nature and technology is spot-on.


Plus, if you wiggle your camera, you get great pictures like these:



Such incredible technology and what a show!  It's there until the end of this year. Paso Robles is a three hour drive from SF and there are plenty of hotels. The tickets are not cheap (but less than $50) and worth every penny.  Go see it.







No comments:

Post a Comment