Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Rain, weddings and hope

Written on Monday afternoon: 
You know how everyone likes the sound of rain on the roof?  The sound of rain on a roof does not compare to the sound of rain on the roof of a trailer.   This is intense.  Cooper and I hear every drop and since we are under trees and it’s the first rain of the season we also hear all the little acorns and twigs dropping on the roof and it sounds incredible.  I don’t know about the dog’s opinion but since rain is my favorite weather, I am loving this day.  The downside is that the trailer sits on dirt so when we go outside (when Cooper has to pee or poop) it takes concentration to walk along the trailer to the driveway, lest we slip and slide and fall into the mud. But the sound and the smell of the rain make up for the mud, at least for today.  This afternoon, as I was reading, I looked out the window and there was a Momma deer creeping along the path near the trailer followed not so closely behind by a tiny little fawn.  I expect fawns in the spring but I guess they happen in the fall as well.  It was maybe 30 inches tall, maybe 20 pounds, all legs and ears.  I know deer are flea-bitten and they eat all kinds of plants but this little fawn was as cautious as a kid at a rodeo, listening to everything,  waiting to cross the path and then leaping over to its Mom.  So cute.  Thankfully Cooper was sleeping, missed the entire scenario.

(This morning, Tuesday, I take back the part about the mud.  It's a mess.  And there was a dead rat just outside the door of the trailer this morning.  Nice.)

What can I say about the celebrity wedding?  If you don’t already know, Seth Rogen got married this weekend and most of the festivities were in Healdsburg.  The wedding was in Sonoma but buses carried people everywhere.  At the inn where I currently work there were about 7 people from the groom's side and 6 from the bride’s side and at the first breakfast on Saturday they all became instant best friends.  This group sat at the table for at least 45 minutes after breakfast, talking, asking for more pancakes or toast  and sharing photos and stories and it was the happiest, most congenial group I have met.  They brought their cameras to breakfast and showed me photos of the cocktail party on Friday night, the sit-down dinner on Saturday night and of course the wedding on Sunday.   I liked all of the guests and wanted to go  home with them and hang out.  If you know me at all, you know that happens rarely.  Stellar group, stellar peeps, stellar events.  If I ever get married again (insert barfing face here) I want to marry someone with a ton of money who thinks nothing of spending perhaps tens of thousands of dollars on flowers alone.  The flowers at every event were extraordinary.   Anyway, nice group, got to see photos of James Franco (hot!) and Paul Rudd (cute) and Edward Norton (totally regular looking, cute girlfriend)  and a few other folks, including the bride and groom who looked so happy and adorable.  Jewish wedding (duh) so they got married under the  canopy thing called a chuppah which was festooned with flowers.  Well, all this is from what I saw from the photos.  Google the thing if you want more.

Now the inn is sort of back to normal.  Some guests checking in tonight from France, cannot understand a word they say over the phone.  Another couple tomorrow, then pretty much full house for the next 5 days.  Eggs, toast, frittata, pancakes, again and again.  Coffee, pots of it, tea, juice, over and over, rinse and repeat.  Thank god I don't mind cooking.
On the job front, I have a couple of interviews this week for permanent, full-time jobs. Given what has gone on in the past two years for me, I am certainly not holding my breath on any of these but it is a positive sign.  I wouldn't even mention it for fear of jinxing it, but since the three or four loyal readers of this blog have stuck with me through it all, I figured you deserved to know.  If anything happens, fireworks will be scheduled.   

.  




No comments:

Post a Comment