Friday, September 30, 2011

Movie review: "House of Games"

Without broadcast TV, I am watching a lot of old movies on DVD. I have seen Jeff Bridges in "Fearless", a stellar cast in "The Departed", a perennial favorite "L.A. Confidential" and last night watched "House of Games."  Produced in 1987, written in part and directed by David Mamet, it is a cold look at the world of con men.  I had forgotten how good it was, how even the audience gets pulled into the con.

Lindsay Crouse and Joe Montegna star, she as a psychiatrist trying to help a patient and he as the con man ostensibly teaching her the game.  Things get down and dirty pretty quickly and even though it is a little dated (more than twenty years ago, after all) it still holds up.  You can figure out the con if you try but sometimes it's a lot more fun to just go along for the ride.

I have to admit right up front that I am a sucker for movies about the con.  From "The Sting" to "Nine Queens" to "Matchstick Men" and more, I love getting taken in and hung out to dry. I always fall for the game, always, sucker that I am.  But check out "House of Games" if you are looking for an entertaining, twisty, well done drama. 

.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget The Grifters as one of your con movies. That's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete