Friday, August 28, 2015

Movie: "Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation"

OK, when I first wrote that title up there, I had it spelled "rouge" nation.  Then I looked at it and had to laugh.  Rouge Nation would be a totally different movie, wouldn't it?  A land of cherry-cheeked criminals, an impossible mission at best.

But I digress.  The newest Mission Impossible movie is actually great fun.  I am not a huge MI fan, at least not since the TV series in the late 1960's.  I saw the first movie of the series in 1996 and liked it.  The rest didn't hold a lot of interest to me, so I probably saw parts of them on television but I don't remember much of them.

However, yesterday was Steve's birthday and he wanted to go to the movies and so I let him pick the movie (and I even paid his way!) and thus we were in the theater watching Tom Cruise (who I don't like that much either) as Ethan Hunt trying to resurrect his rogue espionage group**.  To tell you the truth, it was totally worth the $6.75 ticket!  Lots of chases, one on motorcycles that was incredible, lots of stunts, lots of gadgets.  And there was a lot of humor as well, which served the movie well.  Plus, as an added bonus, we get Alec Baldwin as the incompetent idiot blusteringly righteous leader of the CIA.  His role is small but he is delightfully nasty in every scene.

Good cast, lots of MI surprises that one shouldn't be surprised about, a little slow in the middle but seeing it on the big screen, with really good sound that seemed to come up through the floor,  it was a treat.  Two thumbs up.  Check it out.



**  Again, rescuing a rouge espionage group has it's merits and it's a movie script that I might have to write. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment