Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The daughter hits 42 years. We are still standing.

It's more that her Dad and I survived this many years! Jenn is amazingly brilliant and amazingly difficult but after 42 years we are numb to it all accepting of all her quirks.  Some friends at the river had a party on Monday night and what a party those gay boys and girls can throw!  Really nice and crazy people and great conversation and everyone brought salads, and there was white cake with chocolate frosting with sprinkles and chocolate cake with white frosting with sprinkles and cupcakes and I sure there were even more forbidden products later in the evening.  John flew down from Oregon for the soiree and I think if you didn't count the parents, no one at the party was "straight" but they were all happy and much gaiety abounded.

One large burly guy came in wearing a tutu, but later I had a great conversation with him. He is one of the original members of the SF Gay Men's Chorus from over 35 years ago.  (He must have been about five years old when he started, but hey, those boys do start early.)  Mike told me about the kids who come to SF and to the yearly Gay Men's Chorus Convention, wherever it is held, to perform and how this is sometimes the first time they are publicly "out" and how the applause from the audience often makes them break down and cry.  This Mike told me with tears in his eyes. 

It was a very nice party. John and I were very happy to be there with Jenn, Dar, all their friends and everyone had a good time.

But really, 42 years?  I am not sure how that happened.  I am not sure I want to know how that happened, but it did. 



No comments:

Post a Comment