Friday, June 24, 2016

"Love & Mercy" the movie

Yes, everyone has already seen this movie but it took me this long to find it for free on TV.  

I must say that it was different than what I expected.  I guess all the reviews I read didn't stick because I was expecting Beach Boys with Brian Wilson and the movie is Brian Wilson.  And some Beach Boys.

But it was good, although dark and sad and what a waste of a chunk of a guy's life. The end notes tell of a happier time for Brian Wilson, married to Melinda, five kids, still playing and singing. 

As a teenager, the Beach Boys were, in some ways, a bigger influence on me than the Beatles.  Growing up in a surfer beach culture, the Beach Boys transcended  music, they were iconic to us little wanna-be surfer girls.  The Beatles went on to change music and how it was experienced, but at high school sock hops we never heard crappy Beatles covers.  It was all about crappy Beach Boy covers and Jan and Dean and the Drifters and even the Dave Clark Five, but not the Beatles.  The Beatles were huge in my high school days but I suppose it was because we lived close to the ocean, surfer bands were what we identified with.  So strange to think about that now. 

Anyway, it's a good movie.  Check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment