Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday Night Cocktails

Some of you are well aware that during my sojourn in West Marin, on Friday nights I usually had cocktails with my very good friend Tom.  His place or mine, didn't matter. It started about 15 years ago when my husband (he who cannot be named) of that era was working in Southern California and thus I was home alone a great deal of the time.  Tom was putting finishing touches on the inn and trying to get guests and I was starting the Inns of Marin business and procured lodgers for him (I was sort of like a pimp, now that I think about it) and we gravitated towards each other because of those reasons and many others.  One was that we both had (have) wicked senses of humor and another was that we both liked to drink (still do.)  And thus the inception of Friday Night Cocktail Hour.

The evolution of that hour is a story for another blog.  Suffice it to say that it is Friday night, Tom is out of town, I am in Daly City and one must keep up traditions so I am having a cocktail.  A Manhattan, to be precise.  (I considered devoting a blog to my energetic alcohol consumption these days but decided it would be embarrassing to my children, friends, family and possibly even the dogs so I squelched that idea.  For the time being. It would definitely not be embarrassing to me.)

The above is nothing but filler. There is no segue here, but what I really find amazing and so totally cool is the fact that Bill Clinton took over Barak Obama's news conference today, took it over to the extent that Obama left the briefing room to attend to some holiday event with his wife!  Is this unprecedented or what?  Name me another President who let one of his predecessors take over for him in a news conference.  Granted, it was an impromptu news conference, but still, how amazing is it that the leader of the free world and the leader of most of the unfree world just stepped aside and let a former leader take the reins and drive the chariot?  Come on, who out there, raise your hands, would vote for Bill Clinton in 2012?  I will, of course, vote for any Democrat even if they make me shake my head in dismay and I truly hope Obama is not a one-term lame duck like Carter (whom I love, just so you know) but seriously, Bill Clinton again?  I would go down that dark and stormy path.

The fact that Clinton got to chat up the news mongers while President Obama was out doing something with Michelle gives my weary soul solace.  Out of all the crap we are dealing with right now, and everyone of us is dealing with crap right now (see the list at the bottom) that was a press conference I would have liked to have seen.

Crap We Are Dealing With Right Now: 
In no particular order:
Friends in the hospital
Mother (90 years old) in the hospital, pacemaker being inserted
Friends getting nervous about their jobs
Friends dealing with the death of their mates
Friends and siblings dealing with divorce
Children dealing with loss of jobs
Everyone dealing with the lack of the Christmas Miracle

Good stuff we are dealing with right now:
Daughter from Texas is visiting
Son and Daughter-in-law are letting me live at their house
Dogs making me laugh
Friends and family giving love
Life

Feel free to add your own to the list.  Whether you do it here or just in your mind, it's fine.

2 comments:

  1. A notable addition to the good stuff column:

    This blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Gabe said.
    Oh - and I would like to add to the good stuff column: Cracked crab dinners with family. They aren't just for Xmas anymore.

    ReplyDelete