Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Gardening

Clarification:  I am not now, nor have I ever been, a gardener.  I have a black thumb, small plants wither when I get close.  Small, delicate roots perish at my touch. The only  thing I have ever grown successfully was a cheap yellow daisy plant and that only lasted for one season. At least it didn't have the audacity to waste away in the first week of its existence.

Having said that,  you will wonder why today I went to the local nursery (a beautiful spot, by the way) and bought some small, innocent plants and some soil and a small shovel and planted them in my backyard.  The reason is simple: because I could.  And because this weather calls for at least trying to grow something.  I am hoping against hope that my basil, arugula, cilantro and rosemary thrive, that my sweet peas come up and my cosmos bloom. I am giving them a week. If they look even vaguely like they are surviving, I am moving on to green beans, maybe two (!) tomato plants, a zucchini plant and a six pack of lettuce starts.  Who knows, maybe this will be my lucky year and I will get one serving of everything I plant, which would be a 100% gain over every other garden I have attempted. 

The yard at this house is too big and my bank account is too small to do much more than some cheap container gardening.  Raised beds would be perfect but those will have to wait until next year.  There is mulch on the ground and I may make a mound in one corner and try some more vegetables (if those planted today manage to live) and probably just sow random flower seeds around and live with flowers this summer.  That wouldn't be a bad thing, although  even flowers have been known to turn brown when I look at them.

We'll see..... will keep you posted.

This is not my garden.  Wish it was.  Not my dog either, glad it's not.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment