Monday, July 11, 2016

In Guerneville, communing with the redwoods.......

Jenn and Dar were out of town this weekend, I took Saturday and Sunday off, which gave me 4 days off in a row!  A miracle, to me.  House and dog sitting up here in the redwoods.  Their little place is sadly right on the road, so there is a fair amount of road noise, but gladly it is surrounded by redwoods so there is a lot of ambient peace and beauty.

Having coffee and toast, just sitting and looking at the trees, makes me happy.  A few weeks ago, when I was house and dog sitting for Steve, I commented on sitting on his porch, looking at all the different trees, being so happy to be surrounded with greenery. There is a theme here, which I was slow to see: I like trees in my line of vision.  I like looking at them, smelling them, hearing them ruffle in the wind, listening to fog drip off of them.  Where I live now, in Santa Rosa, there are a couple of oak trees on either side of the house but they aren't nice to look at.  They are solid, but there is nothing graceful or pretty about them.  In my quest to find a new place to live, the tree factor has become important.  I  am not a gardener, so I don't need to grow things, but I want to see things that are growing. 

When I look back at places I have lived, the swaying of trees, the changing of the leaves each season, these are things I remember.  In Daly City, there were huge eucalyptus trees in back of us that smelled wonderful and moved in the slightest breeze.  In Inverness, of course, there were trees all over the place, oaks and pines, apple trees, fir and redwoods.  In the tiny Santa Rosa duplex I lived in had a magnificent garden of flowers and vegetables right outside my door and walking that neighborhood brought me in contact with again, more trees. 

It is time for me to find that new place to live.  I am asking everyone who reads this to send a silent (or noisy) thought to the Universe to help me find this new place.  With the housing market the way it is in Northern California, relying on on-line rental sites is too frustrating and futile.  Creating a network of friends who will put me on their habitat radar is the best way to find a new home.  Anything you see or hear about, let me know.

And thank you in advance for doing so.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment