Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Dutch Babies = Giant Pancake in my house

Years ago, when my kids were small, I discovered Dutch Baby pancakes. For us, living on nothing, Dutch Babies were a little miracle:  3 ingredients and you had either breakfast or dinner.  Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar and then squeeze lemon juice over it, your meal was complete. Carbs and protein, very tasty, nothing else needed.  For some reason, we called them Giant Pancakes.

We still make them, all of us separately. I make a GP at least once a month, it's a good and easy breakfast and turning on the oven heats up my apartment/duplex. My favorite topping is still the powdered sugar-lemon juice bit but they are good with raspberry jam as well, or maple syrup.

However, yesterday I wanted breakfast and had no lemons and was sick of sugar anyway, having baked dozens of cookies in the past several days. I wanted GP but savory. So I took the basic recipe for one person( 2 eggs, half cup flour, half cup milk whirled up in the blender) and added salt and pepper and just before pouring into the frying pan (with melted butter and a little bacon grease) I added some grated cheese, a handful of cilantro, a dash of cumin and a shake of red pepper flakes and a couple of chopped green onions.  I didn't blend them up too much, just enough to get them mixed well with the eggs stuff.  Into the pan, 20 minutes later it was ready. I splashed some salsa over the top and it was delicious!  Savory, fluffy, like a giant popover, filling and cheap.  What more can you ask?

Dutch Baby, Giant Pancake, whatever you call it, make one now. Breakfast, lunch or even dinner. I can see adding some pesto to it, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes.  Or some romesco sauce.  Or just salt, pepper, parsley and then topping it with a bit of sour cream and some smoked salmon when it comes out of the oven.  Possibilities abound.   Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment