Monday, December 18, 2017

For Mom: A Brandy Manhattan

The only cocktail I ever heard Mom order was a Brandy Manhattan.  Perhaps in her younger years she ordered something else, but I know nothing about that time.  But she loved her Brandy Manhattans.  When it arrived at the table, she would get a little mischievous smile on her face, take a small sip and make that little shrug of the shoulders that we all make when tasting something we love.

I needed some brandy today for a recipe and since I had it in the house, a Brandy Manhattan had to be my cocktail of the evening. It's sweeter than a standard Manhattan because brandy is sweeter than bourbon.  But the brandy I purchased was decent (aka it cost more than $10.00) and it made a really nice, smooth Manhattan. I can see why Mom liked them, they are good for sipping, they are easy to drink and they make you happy.

This is the first holiday season since Mom died. I don't miss her but I think of her often, of her love of the Christmas tree, of lights, of old fashioned carols, of See's candies, of getting Christmas cards in the mail. I am glad she is off somewhere, having some other adventure, not wading through another year of being old.  And I am happy to have a Brandy Manhattan in honor of her.  Cheers, Mom, wherever you are!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment