Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A good Tuesday

A good day:  to Green Apple Bookstore on Clement, to do some research.  One of the best and quirkiest independent bookstores (in my opinion) in the bay area.  Yes, we have many, but Green Apple is a maze of shelves, you can easily get lost there.  Then down the street to Burma Super Star for their Tea Leaf Salad and some Jasmine tea.  Yumm.  Drove north on 10th Avenue and into Golden Gate Park, found a good parking spot near the De Young and planned on just going up to the tower.  The museum, where my kids took random art classes in the late 70's and early 80's,  has been remodeled since then and has been re-opened for more than 6 years.  Yet I hadn't been to see the new version. 

The viewing tower, which looks out from the 9th floor to the entire city, is free.  What I didn't know was that today was a free day for the entire museum except for one special exhibit.  Great presentation of great art, not too many people there and just a very pleasant experience.  It looks so different than it did more than 25 years ago. It is quite beautiful.  And the viewing tower with its huge observation deck is totally cool, a 360 degree ;ook at the city. It was a clear day and the view was excellent.

Home after that, took the dogs to the park to run.  It was a gorgeous day in Daly City.  Finally, I made dinner:  I am predicting that the next big food wave will be biscuits and therefore I am perfecting my biscuit technique.  Tonight we had buttermilk biscuits with cheese and a little diced sausage.  They were the flakiest of all the recipes so far and tomorrow I am doing a double batch, one savory and one sweet.  I need to perfect the "make ahead" dough and I might be almost there.  

Re the next big food wave:  come on.  We all know that cupcakes are on the way out and while doughnuts are the hot thing now (with bacon or pepper or chilies) those fried love lumps will run their course as well.  But biscuits!  Think about it:  savory with herbs, cheese and ham or with  smoked salmon and cream cheese, one nice size biscuit is a complete meal.  And sweet, with cinnamon and brown sugar or blueberries and a lemon glaze, you just can't beat that.  The possibilities are endless.  They are cheap to make, they can be 100% organic or they can also be vegan (yuck) and hot out of the oven, especially with butter (sorry vegans) they are a handful of heaven.  Trust me.  Ask and I will make them for you and you will be a True Convert. 

Tomorrow:  it appears from secret sources that the Mission District is teaming with hidden alleys where there are incredible murals painted on walls and buildings.  I am heading to the Mission to see them, have a taco or two and get to experience SF in a new way.  I will report back.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment