Monday, May 16, 2011

Here in Healdsburg

I am in Healdsburg for a few weeks, working at a well established bed and breakfast inn, living in an old Victorian-like farmhouse for the time being.  The inn is over 100 years old, the common spaces are rather large with high ceilings and lots of snazzy decorative touches. The rooms are a bit too decorated for my tastes but it is part of the charm of the place.  Having worked in the b&b industry for over 15 years, this is a very easy job for me, especially since there is help, someone to do some of the prep and most of the cleanup.  Healdsburg is a hot town right now, so many restaurants (and me with so little money!) and dozens of wineries within just a few miles.  It's a mecca for foodies and winos and I intend to spend sometime in the next couple of weeks checking out that scene.  Walking around the town square, having a small meal now and then at a popular eatery, trying some new wines that I know nothing about.  And working a bit, can't forget that part!

After this sojourn, my next move is to Texas for July and August and into September.  My daughter is juggling several jobs and life changes right now and needs some help and support.  Since my living options are limited these days, at least it will give me a place to park my car and my dog for two months.  Yes, I am aware that the weather in Texas in the summer is miserable but that's OK.  It's part of the adventure and it will give me something to whine about in writing.

Right now it is cold and rainy outside, a bit of winter remaining in this new spring season. This wine region is so green right now, the grapevines are perky and healthy looking, with grapes the size of a pin-head alluding to what is to come in the fall. Even as untethered as I am, life is good.


.

1 comment:

  1. While it is hot and humid, we do have central air. I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete