Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sleeping around

I know I had a post with the same title a while ago, but it seems relevant again.  To get you all up to speed, I have left Daly City for now, and have accepted a very generous offer from my friend Margaret in Healdsburg to stay at her vacation rental house for the next two months.  It gives me a chance to perhaps find work in Healdsburg/Santa Rosa and give me a place to live. It also gives Margaret a person (me!) to help out at the inn she runs and affords her some time off. 

Right now I am in Inverness, doing another inn-sitting gig for my friend Tom who is taking a couple of days off.  For those who are not familiar with the inn business, it is like being in a stage play 24  hours a day, 7 days a week.  Both Tom and Margaret are "on" all the time, whether or not they live at the inn.  Getting days off is sketchy. That's where I come in.  Having worked at a couple of different inns over the past 20 years, I know how they work, I know how to greet the guests, I know what to cook for breakfast.

If I don't find work before the end of July, I will probably drive to Texas for a month and a half. Hang out with my daughter, help her out.  I want to be in Eugene, Oregon for part of September because my ex, John, and his wife Diane are going to Italy (sigh) for that month and it would be good for me to me in Oregon then, perhaps scoping out jobs there.

That might be all I have to say right now.  This moving around from place to place is OK with me right now, although I must say, it is odd to recognize that I am actually "homeless."  Yes, I have people to stay with but it is still a bit disconcerting. I have no home. (* footnote below)  However, I know how to travel light, know how to do small laundry in small sinks and I am not too weirded out by all this.  Yet.

For all of you who read this, keep tuned in.  The adventure continues.   Whatever. 

*  I also recognize that in the big world, my dilemma is nothing.  I have a computer!  A phone !  A dog!  Clearly, if you saw me, enough to eat!  I am lucky, and I know it.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment