Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wandering the town

Right off, I totally admit that being up here in Healdsburg is like being on vacation and when some of you read these postings you might be jealous.  I get that.  Because even though I am out of work and still looking for work, I am also collecting unemployment (for a few more weeks) and therefore it almost seems as if I am living the Good Life.  And yes, I feel a little guilty about it all, especially on a day like today, but my decisions are mine and I take full responsibility for them and am not whining about stuff any more.  Life is good for me right now, as untethered as I may be. 

Today Cooper and I spent some time just walking around Healdsburg, in and out of the town square, down most of the streets in town, looking in windows, venturing into a few shops, fantasizing about lunch, simply enjoying the day. It was sunny and there were many people doing what I was doing: just hanging out. 

Healdsburg is full of food.  From small family run joints to up-scale four-star restaurants, there are dozens and dozens of eateries within walking distance of the town square. It seems that a person could eat in a different restaurant every day for at least three or four weeks and probably most of those meals would be very good.  Some would be excellent and some would be fine, but since this is a food mecca, most of the time you would have a very good meal. Not cheap, except for the Mexican places, but if you have the money, they have the food.

In a couple of weeks the summer Tuesday Farmers Market starts up and there is music with that as well.  Food and music!  Then there is the Healdsburg Jazz Festival during the first weekend of June, something I know little of but will undoubtedly experience.  However, in case you get the impression that I do nothing but hang out and relax in the bliss of this small town, I am also working at the Calderwood Inn with my friend Margaret, making delicious signature breakfasts and dazzling guests with made-up stories from my oh-so-rich life.  Hey, they don't know I really never lived in Cape Town, South Africa and who is hurt by such a small lie?  My tales of adventure working at a wild animal refuge in Guatemala fascinate the guests and they take home great stories to their friends, who are then enticed to come to the inn and experience this for themselves.  It's a win-win situation.

Here's a picture of the town square, in case you haven't seen it.  Tomorrow I will take my camera and get some photos of my own and share them with you.  Well, if I can find the time in my busy life.  I'll try.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment