Saturday, May 28, 2011

More about H'burg

Much to Cooper's delight, I found a grassy park where he can run unleashed.  It's a baseball field, well maintained and near the road. I have yet to see people playing ball on it and yes, the signs indicate that dogs are supposed to be on a leash.  However, middle of the day, no one out there, I see little harm in letting little Cooper run to his heart's content.  He starts whining before we pull into the parking lot and can't wait to get out of the car.  Then he takes off and runs like crazy, across the park, down one side, up the other, again across diagonally.  He loves running on grass and since there isn't another dog option for running that I have found, this is heaven for him.  A fat little sausage tearing across the green grass, it makes me laugh every time.

Thursday was the annual Future Farmers of America parade through town and we watched it with dozens of people from the front porch of a beautiful home on the parade route.  Small town floats, marching horses, kids doing gymnastics on the street, fire trucks, local business trucks, it was great.  Food to nibble on, a make-your-own margarita table as well as cases of wine: it was a lovely evening.  Getting some of H'burg's local tradition was fun and getting to talk to new people about random topics was equally enjoyable.

I am beginning to see my sojourn to Texas as a voluntary visit to the virtual Betty Ford Clinic. These people in H'burg are very friendly and very social and very much into eating and drinking good food and wine. Lots of wine.  I think I have gained 5 pounds in the last two weeks, the product of too much good food and alcohol.  These guys put it away!  I have met a lot of very nice folks and they go out of their way to make the newbie feel welcome and included in that welcome is always a glass of good wine. As most of you know, I am less social and more reclusive than the average person.  I don't feel comfortable in a room full of people I don't know, I would rather be home reading a book.  However, I am making the effort to meet people, especially since many of these people might be instrumental in my getting a job when I return from Texas.  Don't bite the hand that might feed  you, as they say.  

But being in Texas for a couple of months with the dogs might be a good thing.  Less eating, less drinking, more sweating, lots of water and lots of salad.  That's my plan. 

Off to Kenwood to visit Steve and Martha this afternoon and evening, back to H'burg sometime tomorrow.  The inn I am helping at is full, of course, so breakfasts are in my future.  


The front porch of the inn, where guests like to sit and have afternoon wine.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment