Thursday, February 24, 2011

Embracing the Void

Eighteen months ago, when I first became one of the 14 million unemployed, I embraced the freedom from the job. I really didn't worry about getting another job because  I never had a problem getting a job in the past and having some time off sounded fine to me.  For about six months I  took some road trips, cleaned out the closets, read a lot of books, washed the windows.  Then there was six months of work at the bed and breakfast inn, about 20 hours a week most weeks, which supplemented my unemployment check and allowed me to continue to live in West Marin.  All was fine.

Since then things have changed drastically, of course, and my quest for a job has gotten a lot more serious.  I apply and apply and ..... nothing.  In the past two months this nothingness has begun to bug me, as readers of this blog well know.  I have two choices:  continue to be bugged or shrug the bug off.  I have decided to revert back to the feeling I had at the very beginning of my lack of job status.  I am embracing the fact that I have a lot of free time and am not going to be bugged about it anymore.  This attitude may only last a week or two or a month or two, but as long as it lasts, I am taking advantage of it.

Yes, I will still apply for jobs every day.  My unemployment benefits will run out in a week so the need for a job is pretty strong right now.  But I can't do much more than I am already doing about finding another one, so if the opportunity to hit the road comes up, I am taking it.  If someone calls and invites me over, I am going. If someone offers me the use of their vacation cabin, I am saying yes. 

I know there is a job out there for me.  I will continue to search for it and hopefully will find it relatively soon.  But I am tired of worrying about it.  I am tired of the job search consuming my every waking moment and making me Ms. Crankypants.  Screw that, life is too short for whining.  For right now I am tossing the cards in the air and playing the hand that falls in front of me.   Jacks or better and I'm in.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment