Friday, June 12, 2015

The day off: Chores. Good ones. Nice.

In 1998 I wrote an article for Salon Magazine, at that time one of the few on-line magazines. (We called them zines for a while.  Is that still a thing?  I have no idea.)  It was called "Why I Hate B&Bs."  That they published it was such a wondrous thing to me!  My first written thing in print!  And they sent me a check for $250.00.

Click ahead 17 years.  A few weeks ago I opened an old wooden box that I use as a sort of coffee table in front of my couch. Why I haven't opened it in the last ten years is not something we need to discuss. There were many sheets of sandpaper (?) and several manila folders.  Those folders had a few years of income tax forms, the ones I had filed while married to George. They were, by now, more than 17 years old, so I decided to chuck them. I tore my social security number off of all of them, left his intact, and while I was going through them all I found an envelope, opened, from Salon Magazine. I took out the document and lo and behold!  It was the $250 check from Salon Magazine from 1998!  What?  I was shocked! And puzzled.  How did this check get here?  I certainly remembered getting paid for the article so how was it that I had never cashed the check? Me, the money grubbing person that I am, was befuddled. Then I looked at the date. The fall of 1998 was a dark time. My father died in August. I sold the Big White House and had to move out of that house in October. My daughter's marriage was disintegrating. Everything in my life was in an enormous state of flux.  I am sure I put the Salon check aside, thinking I would cash it later.  Much, much later, as it turned out.

Needless to say, I emailed Salon, explained the situation, they stalled for a day or two while they checked the company policy and finally agreed that they could and would re-issue the check. Thus, today, 17 years later, I cashed that check.  What a nice ending.

That was the first "chore" of the day.  Others followed: buy some summer shirts, get dog treats, look for sheets, which was a shock. I haven't bought sheets in...... maybe 25 years. The ones I have now are literally falling apart and all I wanted were cotton sheets. Do you know how difficult it is to find 100% cotton sheets for a standard full size mattress (not even a queen) for under $50?  I didn't find any. I was shocked.  Cotton and polyester blend seems the go-to blend now, which doesn't work for me. I don't want microfiber. I want cotton at a reasonable price.  I will sleep with my holey sheets for a while and my quest will continue.

Then to the dentist, all good and happy there. Then I stopped at a very small, very unpretentious winery on River Road, Fogline, and met the peeps there, tasted some wine (all in the cause of getting them to come to the hotel and pour for our guests.)  The wine was delicious and the people were great fun. 

I also pulled weeds, cleaned house, did laundry (saving the rinse water to water the rose bushes and hydrangeas), paid bills and walked the dog a couple of times.  

All in all, a good day off.  I just need more of them.  Many, many more ..... and I think this entire post sounds like a Facebook thing, for which I am a bit chagrined.  But since I have typed this far, I will let it go.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment