Friday, March 4, 2011

Mice and job offers

Last night was the last night in the water tower.  Sharing the room with mice in the middle of the night is not my idea of a good sleep.  Now, to be honest, I didn't actually see the mice but I heard them and I pretended that they were in the upstairs part, or in the walls, and I simply didn't open my eyes to see if they were visible from the bed.   That would have been entirely too disturbing at 3:12 a.m.  However, because of the little remainders they left behind on the funky table, I know they were there.  Plus there were just too many scary noises last night.  I swear there was a wild warthog scratching at the door, making warthog noises, but it could have been an extremely large raccoon or a very small wild boar.  Again, I didn't get up to investigate, preferring to hide under the blankets, silently pleading with the the screeching beast to leave me alone.

Mice, the warthog and having to get up and walk a rocky path to the bathroom in the middle of the night were enough to get me out of there.  Tonight Cooper and I are staying at the Blue Sky Motel in Carmel Valley.  Very 1960's, but off the main road, very clean and check this out:  the bathroom is in the same unit as the bed!  No more stumbling down the path to pee.  Plus it is cheap; not as cheap as free but under $100 for me and the dog and tax.  I am out of here in the morning, pre-dawn, so didn't need something luxurious and can't afford that anyway.

Cooper and I wandered through Carmel today, peered in many windows and walked into a couple of shops.  Carmelians profess to love dogs, so you can bring your dog with you to look at clothes and such, as long as the dog doesn't touch anything or sniff anything.  People thought he was cute, but, alas, no one offered him a job in the movies, and no one offered to buy him some new clothes.  He was a little disappointed, but then he is not experienced in the cruel ways of the path to fame.  I provided some solace by taking him back to the long, sandy beach where dogs can roam freely.  He immediately forgot about being a movie star or being rich and found, once again, great joy in sniffing other dogs' private parts.  It was a warm, windless day and everyone, dogs and owners, were smiling at each other and in general being happy. 

Job: I haven't brought up the subject of jobs lately, but here's the latest:  I had an interview with Whole Foods in Mill Valley last Friday.  I knew they would offer me a job and they did.  However, it was a sort of bait-and-switch routine.  The job I interviewed for was a full-time job.  The job they offered me was part-time, 20 hours a week at the remarkable wage of $11.25 per hour!  Take-home pay on that is around $150 a week, less than half of what I get on unemployment.  And no benefits until you work 400 hours, which at 20 per week would be 20 weeks, about five months.  Gosh, it was an offer I could hardly refuse!  The best part is that the guy who interviewed me was actually pissed that I turned the job down.  "But you said you would like working for us" he said.  "I can't pay rent on 20 hours a week, let alone gas, food, insurance, utilities" I said. 

But next week I have two other interviews lined up and hopefully a third one in the works.  What a process.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment